Sunday, June 24, 2018

Essences - expensive vs. affordable dupes


I tried the 7 skin method almost a year ago and I haven't looked back since. And since my skin likes it so much I've become a bit obsessed with finding the best essence for my skin, at a reasonable price of course. 

Disclaimer:
In this blog I'm using the term "toner" and "essence" a lot. both words to me, mean the same, because both are supposed to be hydrating and balance and plump the skin with moisture. Do not use an acid toner or a toner with alcohol in it for the 7 skin method, it will ruin your skin! -disclaimer over-

My curiosity started with the hyped SKII First Treatment Essence, which from what I know is very loved, but also very expensive. I got a small bottle off of eBay and tried it for a few months. It has a light scent but nothing too noticeable, and it does a good job at hydrating the skin and making it feel soft and smooth, however for the price there are tons of more affordable options on the market, the best one probably being the Missha Time Revolution First Treatment Essence, which claims to actually have the SKII formula beat and even improved. 

My quest to find better essence led me to YuriPibu Artichoke Power Toner which is a bit thicker in consistency than the SKII and the Missha toners. this toner is great for the 7 skin method and really packs in the moisture without feeling heavy on the skin. Another toner great for this method is the Klairs Subtle Preparation Toner which is very similar to the YuriPibu toner, except that the Klairs toner has a pretty strong scent of, what I'd describe as smelling like the dentist. Its not too bad but I prefer the YuriPibu toner because it has no scent. 

Next my search for the best essence I heard about two essences that were really hyped on youtube and peoples raved about how good they were, so I bought both. First off is the Whamisa Organic Flowers Toner a very well known and loved brand by many who uses korean skincare products. The essence is very thick and super moisturizing, and as the name suggest it is organic. However, the smell of this one is too much for me. Its smells very floral and I can't stand i to b honest. I know a lot of other people really enjoy the smell of this but I just can't deal with it. Which leads me to the HadaLabo Super Hyaluronic Moisturizing Lotion which had a thick texture like the Whamisa toner but no scent! I love this product and the best part is that its super affordable! If you have dry skin I would really recommed trying this out, and as you can see from the picture above, you can get a smaller size to start out with, if you just want to try it out without buying a full bottle first. 

Now last on my essence list for the time being is the Blithe 8 nourishing beans toner which is unlike any other essence on this list. This toner is similar to the YuriPibu in consistency but has small beads of vitamin E suspended in the formula, and when you pat the essence into your skin, the beads will burst. This is probably my favorite toner of them all, however the price is pretty high so I usually use this toner for 2 of the 7 skins I do in the evening. 

My top recommendations are:  
Missha Time Revolution First Treatment Essence, which you can read a full review on here.
YuriPibu Artichoke Power Toner
HadaLabo Super Hyaluronic Moisturizing Lotion
Blithe 8 nourishing beans

I use those 4 essences or toners every day and mix and match them in the 7 skin method for the best hydration for my skin. I love them all and have repurchased them all. I buy all my korean skincare on eBay and I have never had any problem with the products or the sellers. 

I hope this was helpful!
~Kira

No comments:

Post a Comment